Saturday, November 24, 2012

Nick Brandt Elephant Photography


 On This Earth is a coffee table book by Nick Brandt of photographs taken in East Africa. Brandt's photographs are mystical looking with blue or sepia tones. Elephants I think are one of the most photogenic animals.

I love the depth of this photograph, and the vastness it shows. I like the clarity of elephants in the front of the photograph and how they fade out to just small little bumps on the horizon. This gives the photograph a feeling of vast endlessness. The way the bottom of the photo to the top fades from light to dark. The way Brandt edits these photographs gives them a very artsy, majestic, alluring feeling.   


This is one of my all time favorite photographs. My eyes directly focus in on the center of the photograph to the baby elephant. I like how the edges are faded and everything is centered around the baby elephant staring at the camera. This photograph to me gives off a feeling of intimacy. They way the baby elephant is peering out from behind it's mothers legs. The black and white tone softens the photograph and the faded edges give a majestic feeling. I really like Nick Brandt's photography and I like that fact that his photographs are all in black and white or sepia I think it's distinguishing but I world really like to see some of his work in a side by side comparison of the color shot. I am usually into more realistic nature photography but for some reason I fell in love with Nick Brandt's photographs in this book. I think the way he edits these photographs gives them a very artistic and simplistic appearance.

Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment